Motion Proposer(s): Ojevwe Evwodere (K1319505)
Motion Seconder: Karyn Miranda (K1700130)
Union AGM Notes
- Most students feel that the cost of laundry is too expensive.
- This cost sometimes rises without prior warning being made to students.
- The current cost of washing is £3 per wash and drying is about £1 per dry. This amounts to £16 per month, and £168 over the cost of the 42 week stay that a student would stay in halls for. This is a Hidden Cost on top of the cost of rent, food, and other maintenance costs.
Union AGM Believes
- Students are already feeling the pinch as the cost of living is constantly on the increase.
- This additional charge just for a student to be able to wash their own clothes is unfair when students are currently struggling with their finances.
- The cost discourages students from doing their laundry at frequent intervals, which can lead to hygiene issues.
Union AGM Resolves
- Lobby the University to reduce the cost of Laundry.
- Push for students to have a greater say in how their accommodation is run and how contracts are awarded so that things are run for the benefit of providing a good service to students, not just profiteering.
- As rent in halls currently covers bills (e.g. electricity, gas, water), this cost should also be inclusive of laundry so as to minimise the hidden costs associated with living in halls.