Union of Kingston Students is a registered charity whose student members democratically lead the organisation, supported by a team of permanent staff who are responsible for the operation and management of the union. The student members are represented at all levels of decision making within the union and the university, supported by the union’s staff team. The elected student representatives sit on various boards and committees to represent the views of Kingston University students.
STUDENT ADVISOR: (9 month post, 21 hours per week)
Salary £19,371 per annum pro rata
What’s the job?
We are looking for an individual to join our Advice team, who will provide relevant professional advice services to Kingston University students and inform the Union’s social policy and campaign work.
• You will be a key contact for students, staff, elected officers relating to casework with students which may involve face to face, telephone or email contact
• You will act as an advocate for students where appropriate and support students at hearings and disciplinaries
• Working with colleagues in the Union you will monitor trends and report these back to officers and managers.
• Working closely with members of the advice team you will maintain accurate and confidential records of all casework.
Who you are
• Someone with knowledge of the Higher Education sector gained through paid or voluntary employment, you have experience in an advice role or strong interest in student welfare issues with a willingness to learn.
• You are an individual with excellent attention to detail and experience of preparing documents to a high standard without supervision.
• Someone with a demonstrable passion for the development and growth of students, you are in tune with sector trends and good practice with respect to engaging young people and/or HE students within liberation/ marginalised groups.
• Positive about working in a student-led environment, you also have excellent interpersonal skills and a flexible, problem solving, customer-orientated approach to work.
As a university with a diverse student population we particularly welcome applications from BAME candidates as they are under-represented within the Union at this level.
The Union of Kingston Students encourages all interested parties to apply for this role. The Union’s flexible working policy supports applicants with caring responsibilities, or individuals looking to return to work. This role is advertised for 21 hours a week, which can be discussed at interview.
If you would like an informal conversation about the role, please contact Laura Dickens – L.Dickens@kingston.ac.uk
A full detailed job description and person specification can be our website by clicking here
If you think you have the skills and experience required, please complete the application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 09:00 on Wednesday 3rd October 2018.
Application deadline Wednesday 3rd October (Interviews to take place on Thursday 11th October (9am onwards)