Elections 101

This is your Elections 101! Here are all the resources, definitions and knowledge you'll need to stand in our Student Elections. Something we missed? Pop us a message on whatsapp (+44) 078 9822 9621


We've put together some resources to help you run and campaign. You can download these here. 

Guide on How to Campaign

Guide on How to write a Manifesto

Candidate Rules and Regulations

Key Dates

Drop Ins

Academic Affairs/Education with Kamal

5th Feb - 1pm-4pm

8th Feb - 1,30pm-3.30pm

Union Development/President with Whaqar

5th Feb - 11am-2pm

8th Feb - 11am-1pm

Activities/Activities and Development drop ins with Elliot

6th Feb - 10am-12pm

7th Feb - 10am-1pm

11th Feb - Nominations Close 

12th & 13th Feb - Candidate Briefing

14th Feb - Deadline to submit Manifesto and Photo

18th Feb - Hustings (Candidate Debate)

19th Feb - Voting Opens

21st Feb - Voting Closes


How do I stand? 

We've explained exactly how to stand, here. You just need to nominate yourself and send us your manifesto, along with a photo of yourself. 

Can I nominate someone else?

You can't nominate someone else, each candidate must have nominated themselves. If there's someone you think should stand, you can recommend a friend and we'll get in touch with them! This can remain anonymous.

Who is RON?

RON is not a real person but instead stands for Re-open Nominations. If you vote for them, you are expressing your opinion that the remaining candidates are not suitable for the position.Voting for RON means that you are voting against the remaining candidates, and shows that you would prefer to nominate new candidates rather than accept any of the current candidates.If RON wins the election, then it means that the election will be re-opened, and new candidates can be nominated. The election will then be re-run at a later date.

What are Manifestos?

Just like in a General Election, each candidate (i.e. party) will create a Manifesto. In their Manifesto they will outline what their aims are for their year in office, what they pledge to do for their students and outline what experience they have that is relevant to their role. You can download our "How to Write a Manifesto" guide here.

What do I do once I've finished my Manifesto?

Please send your Manifesto, along with a photo of yourself, to representation@kingston.ac.uk. These must be sent by 23:59 on the 14th February to be approved as we must authorise them before you put them up.

What is Single Transferable Vote (STV)?

Single Transferable Vote is a voting system designed to minimise the number of ‘wasted’ votes. An elector’s vote is initially allocated to their preferred candidate, and then they can also select their second choice, third choice and so on. If their preferred candidate is subsequently eliminated their vote will be passed on to their second choice candidate. If the second choice candidate had already been eliminated, the votes then get transferred to their third choice candidate and so on.

What does a Slate mean?

Two or more candidates who run together as a team in the election. This is only for campaigning purposes; votes for each position are counted separately. Candidates are entitled to run in “slates” or election teams with people that they share the same goals or values with.

How long does the role last?

All four full time officer roles and student trustee roles start in July and are for a year. You can also stand for a second year during your term in office and if you are re-elected, you can continue your role for an additional year. You can only hold office for maximum of two years.

Do I need to be in my final year?

You can run for a full time student officer roles at any point during your course. If you are a final year, you can undertake this role before continuing any further studies or starting a career. If you are in your first or second year, you will need to take a year out from studies (also known as a sabbatical) before returning to your studies when you have finished. If elected, you will not be permitted to study full or part time during your sabbatical year. If you have any questions regarding this, please pop us a message on whatsapp (+44) 078 9822 9621 or email representation@kingston.ac.uk.

If you are running for a Student Trustee role, you will need to be a student throughout the duration of your term as a Trustee. For example, if you are a first year running for this role, you will still be a student in your second year when you undertake this role. If you are a final year undergraduate running for this role and not continuing onto a Masters course afterwards, you would not be eligible for this role.

If I get elected, how much do I get paid for this role?

All four full time student officer roles are paid positions in the Union and you will receive a salary from the Union. The current pay for a student officer is £21,829 per annum

Student Trustees are part time unpaid voluntary roles with out of pocket expenses paid. 

Are there rules for campaigning?

Yes! We have rules and regulations you must follow when you're campaigning. You can see them here

I'm an International Student, if I was elected as a full time officer, how will this affect my visa? 

The Union will pay for a Tier 4 visa for any eligible full-time officer who is in their final year of study and graduates in July, but their sponsor will continue to be the university. Any candidate on a Tier 4 visa who will be taking a sabbatical year during their course is responsible for ensuring they satisfy the requirements of their Tier 4 visa (and this includes retaining the correct finances for 28 consecutive days to support a Tier 4 visa application), and Kingston University requirements. We advise any candidates with a Tier 4 visa to discuss their situation as early as possible with Kingston University’s Student Life Advisors (Immigration)who are located in the Student Life Centre on the Penrhyn Road Campus and check with Union staff.

How was the new Student Officer structure decided? 

You can see the new structure, and how we reached that point, here.

How do I make a complaint?

We only accept complaints via email. These can be sent to representation@kingston.ac.uk

If you are unsure what you can and can't stand for, pop us a message on whatsapp (+44) 078 9822 9621.