Elections FAQ's

Here are a few definitions for elections terms you may not have seen before and FAQ's that you might have about this election 

Who is RON?

RON is not a real person but instead stands for Re-open Nominations. If you vote for him, you are expressing your opinion that the remaining candidates are not suitable for the position.Voting for RON means that you are voting against the remaining candidates, and shows that you would prefer to nominate new candidates rather than accept any of the current candidates.If RON wins the election, then it means that the election will be re-opened, and new candidates can be nominated. The election will then be re-run at a later date.

What are Candidate's Statements?

Just like in a General Election, each candidate (i.e. party) will create a Candidate Statement. In their Statement they will outline what their aims are for their year in office, what they pledge to do for their students and outline what experience they have that is relevant to their role.

What is Single Transferable Vote (STV)?

Single Transferable Vote is a voting system designed to minimise the number of ‘wasted’ votes. An elector’s vote is initially allocated to their preferred candidate, and then they can also select their second choice, third choice and so on. If their preferred candidate is subsequently eliminated their vote will be passed on to their second choice candidate. If the second choice candidate had already been eliminated, the votes then get transferred to their third choice candidate and so on.


Two or more candidates who run together as a team in the election. This is only for campaigning purposes; votes for each position are counted separately.

Candidates are entitled to run in “slates” or election teams with people that they share the same goals or values with.

How long does the role last?

All four full time officer roles and student trustee roles start in July and are for a year. You can also stand for a second year during your term in office and if you are re-elected, you can continue your role for an additional year. You can only hold office for maximum of two years.

NUS delegate roles are the period leading up to and including NUS Conference. NUS conference is held this year between 25th and 27st April and is held in Brighton. More information about the conference can be found here

Do I need to be in my final year?

You can run for a  full time student officer roles at any point during your course. If you are a final year, you can undertake this role before continuing any further studies or starting a career. If you are in your first or second year, you can take a year out (also known as a sabbatical) before returning to your studies when you have finished.  

If you are running for a Student Trustee role, you will need to be a student throughout the duration of your term as a Trustee. For example, if you are a first year running for this role, you will still be a student in your second year when you undertake this role. If you are a final year undergraduate running for this role and not continuing onto a Masters course afterwards, you would not be eligible for this role.

You can run for NUS delegate at any point during your studies at Kingston

If I get elected, how much do I get paid for this role?

All four full time student officer roles are paid positions in the Union and you will receive a salary from the Union. The current pay for a student officer is £20,651 per annum

Both Student Trustee and NUS delegate roles are part time unpaid voluntary roles with out of pocket expenses paid. 

I'm an International Student, if I was elected as a full time officer, how will this affect my visa? 

The Union will pay for a Tier 4 visa for any eligible full-time officer who is in their final year of study and graduates in July, but their sponsor will continue to be the university. Any candidate on a visa who will be taking a sabbatical year during their course is responsible for ensuring they satisfy the requirements of their visa and Kingston University requirements. We advise any candidates with a visa to discuss their situation with Kingston University’s International Student Advisory Centre (ISAC), and check with Union staff.

What is 'NUS fair representation'? 

At NUS National Conference 2014, a motion called Fair Representation was passed to ensure that all future delegations to national conference would consist of “at least 50% women, rounded down.” In the year 2013/14, women in leadership was an organisational priority for NUS. The motion was submitted as women students are underrepresented in student politics. The motion aims to ensure that women students are able to have a say in national policy, engage with decision making of the highest level, and stand for election should they wish to.

In order for us to comply with the new regulations, we ask all candidates running in the election to self-define their gender on their profile on our website before they nominate themselves online to go to national conference. The official definition from NUS is: "All who self-define as women, including (if they wish) those with complex gender identities which include ‘woman’."

Fair representation only applies to the delegation we send to National Conference

I study a joint honours course which is across more than one campus, which campus officer can I nominate myself for?

If you are undertaking a joint honours course where studies at more than one campus could be identified, you will be eligible to stand for the student officer role at any campus identified as a location for studies for your joint honours course. However you are only eligible to stand for one (1) identified Student Officer role at any time in any given election for Student Officers.


If you are unsure what campus you can stand for, please email kingstonstudentelections@gmail.com